OPI Hawaii Collection - Comparisons

Tuesday 17 March 2015


Last week I shared with you my swatches and review of the entire OPI Hawaii Collection (if you are interested you can see them here) and today I am going to share with you some swatch comparisons.  It always amazes me how when you are swatching one polish you think "oh this looks like such and such a polish" but then you swatch them together (or look at the bottles side by side) and they are completely different.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Or do I just not remember the colours well enough? 

OPI Aloha From OPI vs China Glaze I Brake For Colour
These two aren't exact dupes but they are extremely close.  The OPI is a brighter colour and has a better formula (I only needed two coats for the OPI and 3 coats for the China Glaze).  The China Glaze is also slightly more pink toned than the OPI.

OPI Do You Take Lei Away? vs OPI Don't Pretzel My Buttons vs OPI Don't Bossa Nova Me Around
Definitely no dupes here.  As you can see Don't Bossa Nova Me Around is a completely different colour.  Don't Pretzel My Buttons is more of a creamy coloured nude compared to Do You Take Lei Away.  Formula wise they are all easy to work with and only need two coats for full coverage.

OPI Hello Hawaii Ya? vs China Glaze All Aboard
These two are completely different.  Both are beautiful colours and only require two coats for full coverage.

OPI Is Mai Tai Crooked? vs China Glaze If In Doubt, Surf It Out
These two aren't exact dupes but I think they are close enough in colour that you don't need to have both.  Formula wise they are pretty similar although I found the China Glaze to be slightly more patchy and it is slightly lighter in colour.  I used three coats for both polishes in my swatch.

OPI Lost My Bikini In Molokini vs OPI Do You Have This Color In Stock-holm?
Definitely no dupes for these ones.  Both have amazing formulas and are gorgeous colours.  I used two coats of each for my swatch.

OPI Suzi Shops & Island Hops vs OPI I Think In Pink vs OPI Pink Friday
Again no dupes but there is a huge difference in formulas.  Personally I prefer Pink Fridays formula.  I used two coats for Pink Friday, three coats for Suzi Shops and four coats for I Think In Pink.  Pink Friday is closest in colour to Suzi Shops but it is slightly darker.

OPI That's Hula-rious vs MUD Soft Mojito vs OPI Gargantuan Green Grape
No dupes here.  That's Hula-rious and Soft Mojito are closest in colour, but the OPI is a brighter colour and doesn't have any shimmer like the MUD (the shimmer is barely visible in it).  As for formulas, That's Hula-rious is only two coats and Soft Mojito and Gargantuan Green Grape were three coaters.

As much as I thought that I had dupes for these polishes, I really didn't.  Aloha From OPI and Is Mai Tai Crooked? are the only two that are close enough to the China Glaze polishes that I would say you don't "need" to have both brands (unless you are like me and like having full collections of things). 



8 comments:

  1. Are these posts meant to help me stop making purchases? ;) The comparison between I Brake and Aloha is excellent as they look very close so I don't need the OPI. Does that give me permission to buy Don't Bossa Nova when I wasn't even considering it?? Hmm I think I marginally prefer Suzy Shops out of the pinks and I definitely need Hularious so all in all quite an expensive read! :D Great comparisons! Love these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol these types are post really are both helpful and expensive aren't they? But the important part is they are helpful ;) If you already have I Brake then skip the OPI and get Don't Bossa Nova instead. It's a gorgeous polish and different to the typical nudes that are around (well that are in my collection). I think I prefer the colour of Suzi Shops but formula wise Pink Friday is much better. And yes you need Hula-rious too. So really the outcome of this post is BUY ALL THE POLISHES! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these posts. Do you think formula wise one brand is better that another consistently between OPI and China glaze?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy. That's a tricky question. Both brands have polishes with excellent formulas and then some that have terrible formulas. It does just come down to the polish really. Do you have a preference for brand?

      Delete
  4. Not really, although I think I prefer China Glaze's colors, but their formula always seems thin to me, requiring 3 coats. OPI is more expensive but their formula seems a little thicker and creamier. This is only my own very very limited experience. I though with your experience you would know more. I can't remember where I heard it but I heard that China Glaze's Electric nights collection has the best formula this person had used from them in years. Since my polish funds are quite limited (stay at home mom) I want to make sure I buying polish wisely. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually read a review of the China Glaze Electric Nights collection yet. I am avoiding it because I don't want to hear that they are bad. I have ordered them an plan on doing a review once they arrive. If I had to pick I would say that OPI are more consistent with their formulas than CG. That being said CG do have a lot of polishes that only require one coat and that stamp really well. Generally speaking pastels and neon polishes tend to have trickier formulas.

      Delete
  5. I will look forward to your review of them...I look forward to all of your reviews.

    ReplyDelete